Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Otis.

I went on a one day trip to Los Angeles on Friday to check out Otis College of Art and Design. After arriving in LAX I went to the fashion campus in the downtown. Otis' main campus and fashion campus are relatively far away from each other.By public transportation, it took about well over an hour.
Passing by Union Station on our way to the next bus stop
Some sparrows that were accompanying me at the bus stop. You know, just hangin'.

Outside the fashion campus. Otis' art program is in a fashion building on the second floor. Pictures weren't allowed inside, so I took one outside.

I took a few pictures before the security guard started yelling at us. Only on the first floor. On the first floor, there were finished pieces on display, a convenience store, and a really amazing fashion bookstore.
Due to poor lighting, I couldn't catch an unblurry picture. This bookstore has the widest selection of fashion references and magazines I've seen in my life. There was an Alexander Mcqueen book for sale at $40. I carried $20 with me that day. The store also carries huge runway reports from Spring 2011 and earlier. It includes detailed shots of all of the collections. I would have loved to have it, but for $100, I could only admire.

I've been looking for V magazine for months, and finally found it in this store. But the New York Issue is out of date and not sold anymore. Bummer. Fashion Bookstore has every American fashion magazine I can think of. They also carried several European magazines and Japanese magazines. I even found an issue of Lady Gaga as Jo Calderone for Vogue Homme Japan. For over $20.

I wasn't able to catch any pictures of the second floor. I met some really friendly staff, and the fashion students there were impressive. I was visiting on a school day, so a lot of the students were there too. Andrea, who is a junior at Otis, showed me around and answered my burning questions.

The tour at the main campus didn't start until 2:00 in the afternoon, so there was a lot of extra time to just hang around. I got to admit, there wasn't much to do for three, four hours.
And here's the main campus.
It was better than I expected. I've heard that Otis is just a building, but there's a fence around it and somewhat of a yard and a small campus.


A lot of the majors seemed interesting. Besides fashion, I also liked their graphic design, toy design, and product design.

I met up with a councilor who did a Q and A session with our tour group, and reviewed my portfolio afterwards.

Walked a couple miles back to the airport after that. It had been raining all day, so I was soaking by the time I was at the airport. I arrived at the airport at around 4:30 or 5:00, when our flight was 8:30. All flights were delayed for hours; ours was pushed back to 11:30. Luckily there was a few seats available in an earlier flight.

Collegeee!
More applications tomorrow.
I'll make a more fun post soon.

Love, Kai

0 comments:

Post a Comment