Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

capturing moments.

Recently, I've been into vintage photography. As in film cameras and polaroids. As technology keeps moving faster, older devices are growing obsolete. It makes me a bit sad. I'm an old school girl. I reminisce.
Sometimes, my mom would say that I was born in the wrong century. I believe that sometimes. I love things that are before my time. For one, I'd love a gramophone in my room, if I could. While classic items may not be the most convenient, there's a certain charm to it that pleases me.


So the thing is, I spent the day looking for my old film cameras, to no avail. It wasn't that long ago, I don't think, that I was still using film. My first camera, I bought in second grade. It was a cute little Pokemon camera that I bought with my own money. It had looked like a toy, and I didn't count on it to take actual pictures. I don't know what ever happened to that camera. On my field trip in fifth grade to Washington DC, I still had a film camera.

By the 7th grade, my dad bought a Canon Powershot A540; the same one I've been using every day for my blog pictures. It's been by my side faithfully, and the signs of wear are apparent.


Film cameras were my childhood. My mother used to take beautiful pictures of her children with the SLR my dad and she saved up for, as poor college kids. The pictures captured moments and emotions that I would have forgotten otherwise. Looking through old photo albums in chronological order, photos in the family became progressively more rare. It happened when my dad bought my mom a new digital camera.
What happened? Photos were never developed. Or never taken. They don't exist. These photo memories of mine were nonexistant for years.

I want to pick those memories back up. I want to remember the little things. In the past few months of blogging, I've been reflecting on my reasons for blogging. One of the biggest ones is because I want to remember. I want to remember those little things that become forgotten memories as I get older. Things that seem insignificant.

I want something to look back on.
So I'm capturing these moments myself.

Love, Kai

2 comments:

- said...

that's a lovely post =)
I also love all the vintage stuff and to be honest I'm a little scared by all the new technology, I mean it happends so fast :/

and your reason for blogging is so beautiful. I think it's important to remember every tiny bit of life. Everything.
=)

Kaiami said...

Thank you! It is scary. My brother doesn't even know what a vcr or cassette is anymore.

Post a Comment